Soup has to be one of the best value meals you can make. Use a big enough pot and this shall supply the family with meals for 2 or 3 days. If vegetables are not your kids thing, liquidise the soup and add a little tomato purée, I find kids love all things red. Make with soft rolls and what’s not to like. If you don’t use many vegetables use a broth/stew pack and add to it, thereby having no wastage.
Vegetable soup & quick soft rolls
- 2 large onions diced.
- 1 large leek sliced.
- 3 carrots grated.
- ¼ turnip grated.
- 1 parsnip grated.
- A handful of fresh chopped parsley or 1tsp dried.
- 1½ litres water.
- 3 stock cubes, more can be added if needed.
- black pepper to taste.
- Heat a little oil in a large pot, I use an old pressure cooker.
- Fry the onion and leek for 5 mins until onion is soft.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, most of the parsley, water and stock cubes.
- Bring to the boil and cook for around 1¼ hrs.
- Serve with a little sprinkled parsley over the top and a warm roll.
- 5oog bread flour.
- 75mls oil.
- 2tbls dried yeast.
- 25g sugar.
- ½tsp salt.
- 1 egg
- 250mls warm water.
- In a large bowl add the water, yeast, sugar and the oil.
- Set aside for around 20 minutes or until a froth starts to appear.
- Once yeast mix is ready add the flour, beaten egg and salt.
- Mix the ingredients until well combined.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and need for a couple of minutes.
- Make into 12 balls and place on a large floured baking tray spaced a little apart.
- Allow the dough to rest for around 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little flour over the top.
- Cook in a pre heated oven 200°c, 400°f or gas mark 6 for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool for around 10 minutes, if you can wait that long that is.
- Serve with your soup and enjoy.
Next week’s recipe shall be Monster pie. For this you shall need potatoes, cabbage,carrot and onion, a tin of corned beef and pre rolled puff pastry. You can eat this dish hot or cold so remember this when you are making it as it is good to make a bigger pie than this picture depicts.