News

Warning to Dog Owners Over Poisonous Algae in Water Sources

Dog owners across Scotland have been warned about the potential presence of toxic blue/green algae in lochs and other water sources.

Bandit in water K Armet

Blue green algae blooms may appear as green or greenish-brown scum on the surface of water and can contain toxins that can be harmful for animals if ingested, even in small quantities. Dogs can swallow this algae by drinking water from an affected lake, river or pond or while licking their fur after going for a swim.

Symptoms of exposure can appear within a few minutes or hours, depending on the type of toxin ingested, and commonly include: vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling, disorientation, trouble breathing, seizures and blood in faeces. If left untreated, it can cause liver damage and ultimately be fatal within days.

Apart from Scotland, the presence of blue green algae has been confirmed in water bodies in Wales, the Lake District, North Lincolnshire and East Northamptonshire, among other locations.

Gudrun Ravetz, Senior Vice President of the British Veterinary Association  said:

“We know that some dogs enjoy nothing better than a paddle in a cool lake while on a walk in this hot weather, but my advice to pet owners would be to keep your dog on a lead during walks near water confirmed to have toxic algal blooms. While not all blue green algae are poisonous, it is impossible to tell the difference visually, so it is better to be safe than sorry.

“Prompt veterinary treatment is key to tackling the effects of the toxins and ensuring a good chance of recovery, so if you suspect your dog has been exposed to blue green algae, rush it to your local vet without delay.”

Top tips to keep your dog safe:

  • Look out for any warning signs put up by the local council near water bodies.
  • Keep pets on a lead and by your side around water bodies known or suspected to have blue-green algal bloom – don’t let them swim in it or drink from it.
  • If your dog has been swimming outside, wash it thoroughly with clean water afterwards.
  • Rush your pet to a vet immediately in case you’re concerned it may have ingested toxic algae. There is currently no known antidote for the toxins, so prompt treatment is essential to ensure that your pet has a good chance of recovery.

You might also want to read Bandit’s story:  Our Boy


 

Categories: News

Tagged as:

2 replies »

  1. WE are having an awful time of it with the blue green algae as well as the red tide in SW Florida, USA this year. It is of crisis proportions with huge fish and wildlife kills littering the beautiful beaches. The air is toxic to breathe up to a mile inland especially to those with respiratory issues. And the water is not safe for swimming with rashes and infections prevalent even to some just on the sandy beach. It is a heartbreaking situation that is not getting attention. I live in NJ but winter there for a few months. I have been researching family history and found your website. My family goes back to the Orkneys to the 1700’s; my great grandfather, Thomas Marwick emigrated to Montreal. Hope to visit sometime! Bonnie Scrimgeour Bruccoleri.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.