As we enter into the period of All Hallows Eve (Halloween), All Souls Day, All Saints Day I’ve been asked if I could make something appropriate. I have chosen Soul Cakes which were traditionally given out to the poor and children, who would go around doors, singing and praying for the souls of loved ones, past and present and be rewarded with these wee cakes.
Today is also the Celtic festival of Samhain whereby you traditionally invite a dead family member in for a meal and set a place at the table for them, to celebrate the end of Harvesting.
- 240g Plain Flour sieved
- 100g butter or spread
- 100g of sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 75g of raisins
- 1 tsp of mixed spice
- ¼ tsp of saffron or turmeric powder
- 2tbls of milk
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Along with the mixed spice, turmeric and flour add the eggs to the mix and combine until your mix resembles crumbs.
- Add the raisins and mix through.
- Add half the milk and bring the mix together, if still dry add remaining milk until you can pull your mix together into a dough.
- Roll out on a flat surface until about 1cm thick.
- Cut into rounds and place on a lined baking tray.
- Cut a cross into the top of your biscuits and sprinkle with a little sugar if desired.
- Bake in the middle of a pre heated oven 180°c, 375°f, gas mark 4 for 25 minutes or until golden in colour.
- Allow to cool (if you must) and enjoy. This recipe should yield around 18 cakes.
Samhain Harvest Blessings, Happy All Hallows’ Eve, All Souls’ Day, All Saints’ Day: