Well here we are on 14th June and the recipe today is Scotch Broth. I am writing today from the Bonnie Banks of Loch Garry and it’s dreich, so what could be nicer than a comforting bowl of Broth.
- 1/2 mug of Scotch Broth (soaked overnight)
- 1 leek sliced
- 1 packet of stew mix which should include
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 2 carrots grated
- 1 small turnip grated
- 1 parsnip grated
- 3 or 4 stock cubes
- 1 1/2 litres of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Alternatively, if in a hurry, everything can be thrown straight into the pot.
- Heat a little oil in a large pan/soup pot
- Fry the onions for 5mins until translucent
- Add the leek and fry for a further 2mins
- Add the remaining veg and fry for another 2 mins
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 1 1/2hrs
- Serve with hot crusty bread.
Next week I am keeping with the soup for a meal theme and shall be making Cullin Skink as a special request from an old primary school friend now living in Australia. Gordon Stewart hope you make it and enjoy. For this you shall need smoked haddock, onion, potatoes, milk and cornflour.