This recipe is great for making double ups, that way you can have chicken stew the one day and then by introducing a couple of extra ingredients you can have pie the next.
Chicken, Ham and Leek Pie
- Pre- rolled puff pastry
- 300g Chicken
- 1 Smoked Gammon Steak
- 1 large Leek sliced
- 1 large Onion diced
- 100g Mushrooms sliced
- 500mls Water
- 3tsp Bisto Powder
- 1tsp Cornflour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pan heat a little oil and fry the onion for 5mins.
- Add the chicken and mushroom and further fry until chicken is browned.
- Add half the leek, keeping the darker section back for using later and stir for a couple of mins.
- Add the water, bring to the boil and cook at a simmer for 30mins. Remove from heat.
- In a cup mix the Bisto and cornflour together with a little water.
- Slowly add to the stew mix stirring all the time. Your stew should be quite thick, add more Bisto mix/water accordingly.
- Bring back to the boil and carefully taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Set aside until cool.
- Once cool, add the remaining uncooked leek and diced gammon to the stew and stir through.
- Put your mixture into a pie dish and wet the edges.
- Carefully unroll the pastry and place over the pie dish, cut according to size leaving around 1/2″ bigger than the dish.
- Egg or milk wash the top of the pie. Cut a breather hole in the middle of your pie.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven 190’c, 375’F, Gas mark 5 for around 45mins or until golden.
Next week we shall cook Chilli Con Carne with a twist. For this you shall need, 500g mince, onion, tinned tomatoes, tinned kidney beans, tomato purée, chilli, (ground coriander and cumin optional), beef stock cubes, cheese, milk and wraps.