Who wants to spend ages cooking whilst on holiday, here’s a recipe that can cover two evening meals, and if you make it big enough, cold for lunch or a picnic.
- 1½ kilos of cooked mashed potato.
- ½ white cabbage chopped and partly cooked.
- 3 carrots diced and partly cooked.
- 2 onions finely chopped and left raw.
- 1 tin of corned beef roughly chopped.
- 1pkt of pre rolled Puff pastry.
- 1pkt of pre rolled short crust pastry ( optional) pie base.
- 1 beaten egg or milk for basting.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
- Allow all your cooked vegetables to cool.
- If you are having a base to your pie, grease and line a large Ashet with the short crust pastry. Place some greaseproof paper over the pastry with dried beans on top. Bake in the oven 180’c, 375’f, gas mark 4 for 20minutes. This process is called blind baking. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl combine all your ingredients, salt and pepper to taste and do taste this dish, as it will take quite a lot of pepper.
- Scoop the mixture into your ashet and spread evenly.
- Wet the edges of either the ashet or the cooked shortscrust pastry.
- Cover with the uncooked puff pastry allowing a small overlap. Crimp the edges. This serves two purposes, it seals the pie and makes it more attractive.
- Baste with either beaten egg or milk.
- Poke a breathe hole in the top of your pie, this allows steam to escape.
- Cook for around 45 minutes in a moderate oven, temperatures as above.
Next week is a family favourite Tex Mex pasta bake. For this you shall need 200g mince, red pepper, mushrooms, onions, garlic, chilli powder, chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, dried macaroni and chedder cheese.
First – catch your monster!