Making meals go further is a favourite hobby of mine, today’s recipe easily does 2 nights when served with side dishes.
Tex Mex Macaroni
- 300g mince.
- 300g macaroni.
- 2 onions diced.
- 150g mushrooms chopped roughly.
- 1 red pepper diced.
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes.
- 2tbls tomato puree.
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder.
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic or 2tsp of garlic granules.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 3/4 pint of chicken stock.
- 1 tin of drained kidney beans.
- 200g grated chedder cheese.
- Heat a little oil in a large pot and brown the mince.
- Add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and peppers and further fry for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the chilli powder and stir until everything is coated.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, bay leaf, stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the kidney beans and the macaroni and stir through.
- Transfer into a large greased ashet and evenly distribute over the base.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and put in a pre heated oven, 180’c, 375’f and gas mark 4.
- Cook for 45 minutes until the pasta is soft.
- Serve with salad and crusty bread.
Next week we are going to pre-empt the winter colds with traditional cream of chicken soup, so easy, so quick so tasty. For this you shall need, 100g of cooked chicken, onion, 3 chicken stock cubes, dried thyme, fresh parsley and 1/2 pint of milk.