As people cooking on a budget
e next nights dinner is almost ready. Today’s recipe shall be done from scratch but should be easy enough to adapt for leftovers. So simple, so tasty.
- 8-10 large dry potatoes
- 1 tin of haggis or leftover haggis
- Breadcrumbs, homemade or shop bought, I always keep the bits of homemade bread which seem to be left specifically for making breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs.
- 50g of Flour for coating
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel and cook half the potatoes.
- Mash the potato with nothing more than a little butter.
- Cook the Haggis according to instructions and break up.
- Grate the remaining uncooked potato.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together, taste and add salt and black pepper as needed.
- Set up 3 dinner plates, one with flour, one with the seasoned beaten eggs and the last with breadcrumbs.
- Taking around a golf ball size amount of potato mix fashion into pattie shapes see the above photo for guidance and repeat the process until all the potato mix is used.
- Doing 2 or 3 at a time cover your patties in flour, egg and then breadcrumbs, (don’t forget the sides) set aside until all the patties have been assembled.
- Shallow fry in oil over a medium heat for around 10-12 mins turning frequently to stop burning. Check they have cooked right through and serve.
Back to Indian Curry next week, this time Bhuna, I use lamb but use the meat of your choice, this recipes also works well as a vegetarian/vegan recipe, using cauliflower, potato and broccoli. You shall also need, tomatoes tinned or fresh, fresh coriander (optional) cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric, green chilies, garlic and ginger.