As people cooking on a budget
e next nights dinner is almost ready. Today’s recipe shall be done from scratch but should be easy enough to adapt for leftovers. So simple, so tasty.
- 8-10 large dry potatoes
- 1 tin of haggis or leftover haggis
- Breadcrumbs, homemade or shop bought, I always keep the bits of homemade bread which seem to be left specifically for making breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs.
- 50g of Flour for coating
- Salt and Pepper
- Peel and cook half the potatoes.
- Mash the potato with nothing more than a little butter.
- Cook the Haggis according to instructions and break up.
- Grate the remaining uncooked potato.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together, taste and add salt and black pepper as needed.
- Set up 3 dinner plates, one with flour, one with the seasoned beaten eggs and the last with breadcrumbs.
- Taking around a golf ball size amount of potato mix fashion into pattie shapes see the above photo for guidance and repeat the process until all the potato mix is used.
- Doing 2 or 3 at a time cover your patties in flour, egg and then breadcrumbs, (don’t forget the sides) set aside until all the patties have been assembled.
- Shallow fry in oil over a medium heat for around 10-12 mins turning frequently to stop burning. Check they have cooked right through and serve.
Back to Indian Curry next week, this time Bhuna, I use lamb but use the meat of your choice, this recipes also works well as a vegetarian/vegan recipe, using cauliflower, potato and broccoli. You shall also need, tomatoes tinned or fresh, fresh coriander (optional) cumin powder, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric, green chilies, garlic and ginger.
Ye cannae beat a gid “Scottish Haggis” pattie👍.