This week’s recipe once again comes from our reporter Nick Morrison, this one is for his version of Lentil soup.
- I Smoked Ham Hough or Ham/Vegetable stock cubes
- 500g of Lentils
- 2 Large Onions diced finely
- 2 Medium Carrots diced
- ½ Neep Diced
- Put your Lentils into a fine sieve and wash under water until they are dust free.
- Place the Lentil and the Ham Hough into a large ovenproof casserole dish or pot.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and put into the oven for 1 hour at Gas mark 3, 170’c or 325’f.
- Cook the diced Neep in a little water, drain and keep the water.
- Cook the Carrot in the Neep water, add the Onions and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Remove Soup from the oven and add the Vegetables.
- Bring back to the boil stirring constantly adding boiling water as required to your desired consistency.
- Remove the hough and cut off any exposed meat to a depth of around ¼ inch.
- Shred and add to the soup.
According to Nick the remaining meat shall give you the best flavoured Ham, much better than any Supermarket.
Any pets in the house, Nick would also suggest they get any of the fat/rind from the hough, with the dog benefitting from the leftover bone.
Next week I am going to change the format of my recipes: I am going to re-post some of my previous recipes to coincide with my future cooking demonstrations that I am now doing for both here and Truly Scottish TV
The first of these shall be for Chicken Hot and Sour Soup, for this you shall need, Chicken, Mushrooms, Vinegar, Sesame oil, and some mixed Oriental Vegetables, this can be either frozen or fresh.