- 1.5kg of a dry type of potato, peeled and diced into fairly large chunks.
- 750g of link sausages.
- 3 large onions diced.
- Salt and white/black pepper.
- Oil or Lard for frying.
Onion gravy, optional
- Fried Onions
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed.
- A pinch of herbs.
- 1/2 a stock cube.
- Pepper to taste.
- 2tsp Bisto powder.
- 1tsp cornflour.
- Oil or lard for frying.
- Heat the lard or oil, brown the sausages but don’t cook and cut into pieces, keep the juices.
- Fry 2 diced onions until browned, use 2/3 for your Stovies 1/3 for gravy.
- In a large pot put 1/2inch of water.
- Layer: Potato, raw onion, fried onion, sausage, some juices, salt and pepper.
- Repeat until all is used.
- Bring to the bubble, then turn heat down to a low setting.
- Cook for 45mins approx, without stirring, just checking every so often that there is still liquid in the bottom. Once the potato is soft, stir everything together breaking up the potato as you stir, making sure all juices are mixed through. The texture, is up to you, some people like it left chunky others prefer it smooth.
- Further salt and pepper if required, and serve.
- Heat your oil or lard and fry your onion for 10mins approx until soft.
- Add your crushed garlic and further fry for a couple of mins.
- Add 400mls of water, 1/2 stock cube, herbs and pepper.
- Cook for around 30mins.
- Mix Bisto powder and cornflour in a little water.
- Remove gravy from heat and slowly add the Bisto mix, stirring constantly.
- Bring back to the boil and serve with your Stovies if desired.