Today we are making a Gingerbread Loaf, this is a super easy cake to make and is so very much cheaper than shop bought from the bakers.
- 225g of self raising flour
- 1/2 tin of treacle or 8tbls
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3tsp ground ginger
- 60g of butter or margarine
- 60g of soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs beaten into a jug and topped up to 1/2pint mark with milk
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Melt the butter in a pot, add the sugar and the treacle and mix well.
- Into a large bowl sift the flour, ginger, salt and baking powder.
- Add the treacle mixture to the dry ingredients and stir.
- Slowly beat in the egg mix until it is all combined into a smooth batter.
- Pour into your loaf tin and bake in a moderately hot oven, 180’c, 375’F, Gas Mark 4 for around 45 minutes.
- Skewer with a needle to check if ready, if the skewer comes away with crumbs or clean then your loaf is ready, if the centre is still gooey, cook for a further 5mins at a time until it is ready.
- Serve with butter and enjoy.
- This can also be served warm with ice cream or custard.
Leave a Reply