I know this sounds both weird and unlikely but, Kenny brought home two yellow label lettuces at 20p each so I had to find something to do with them; this is what I came up with.
Curried Lettuce Soup
Watch the video here:
- 1 whole lettuce, I used iceberg
- 3 medium tatties grated with skins on
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 2 tsps of garlic granules or 2 cloves crushed
- 2 tsps of stock or two stock cubes
- 1 litre of water
- black pepper to taste
- 25g of butter and a little oil
- A handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent around 5mins.
- Add the coriander, garlic and curry powder and stir for a minute to release the oils.
- Add the tattie and stir to coat.
- Roughly chop the lettuce and add to the pot.
- Pour the litre of water in, it won’t matter if the water does not cover the lettuce as this shall wilt down.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 15mins.
- Add the pepper to taste.
- Once cooked carefully put into a blender and whisk until smooth. You will probably need to do this in a couple of batches, adding most of the parsley before whisking.
- If you don’t have a blender, pass through a sieve or mash it.
- Transfer back to the pot and bring back to the boil.
- Serve with crusty bread and a sprinkle of parsley over the top.
- Add a little milk or cream for a creamier taste.