This weeks recipe is being done as a special request for someone who has been in touch through twitter. It is super easy to make and is eaten so quickly that I’d advise you to make two whenever you can.
- 125mls of strong tea
- 90g malt extract
- 45g of dark muscovado sugar or white sugar and a large tsp of treacle
- 125g of plain flour
- ¼tsp of bicarb of soda
- ½tsp of baking powder
- 150g of mixed dried fruit
- 1 beaten egg
- Heat your oven to 150°c, 300°f , Gas Mark 2.
- Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin.
- Put the sugar, malt extract and fruit into a large bowl and mix together, add the tea and further mix.
- Add the egg and combine.
- Add the flour, bicarb and baking powder.
- Stir until well brought together.
- Pour into the prepeared loaf tin and bake for 50mins until the cake is firm.
- Whilst hot baste the cake with some malt extract.
- Allow to cool and serve with lashings of butter.
- This cake will get stickier after a few days, another good reason for making two.