News

Using White Goods Safely

Last year Scottish firefighters were called out to 327 household fires which were caused by faulty white goods – those are electrical appliances like washing machines, tumble driers and dishwashers.

washing machine

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) has made the potential dangers of faulty white goods the subject of their hard hitting Spring campaign. You may have seen their advert on the TV.

Deputy Chief Officer David McGown,  SFRS Director of Prevention and Protection said:

“We know that the Scottish public has a high awareness of the traditional causes of fire in the home.  Cooking, smoking and alcohol are all factors which have been deservedly highlighted.

“But the risk of fire from white goods is also one which we all face.  This campaign sets out to highlight not only the risk of fire but simple steps you can take to significantly reduce that risk to yourself, your family and all that is important to you.”

In 2018 fires which were caused by faulty white goods included:

  • Washing Machine – 121
  • Tumble Dryer – 111
  • Fridge / Freezer – 53
  • Dishwasher – 33
  • Washer / Dryer combined – 5
  • Spin Dryer – 4

If you want to check on an appliance you have this link will take you to any products which have been recalled: Household Product Recall 

When you purchase white goods it is advised that you complete the registration of the appliance. This means that you will be informed if there are any problems with the item and it is recalled. Register my appliance This also applies to items you have bought which were previously owned.

 

Categories: News

Tagged as: , ,

Leave a Reply