This wee loaf is super to have up your sleeve, ready from start to finish in 40 minutes.
- 175g of Plain Flour or Wholemeal Flour
- 175g of Self Raising Flour
- ½tsp of salt
- ½tsp Bicarb of Soda
- 300mls of butter milk or natural yoghurt. If you have neither of these ordinary milk will do if you mix 2tbsp of lemon juice into it or even a squirt of vinegar
- Pre heat your oven to 220ºc, 425ºf, gas mark 7.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Create a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the liquid.
- Mix until brought together.
- Tip out onto a floured surface and knead for just a minute until well combined.
- Shape into a round and place on a floured tray.
- Gently press down to flatten slightly.
- Flour the top.
- Score a cross in the dough with a sharp knife.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Tap the base to make sure it’s cooked. It should sound hollow to the tap.