Sometimes making Mince Pies can seem like a chore but my goodness once you find a recipe you like then shop bought ones no longer hit the spot. After trial and error, mixing and matching, I’ve come up with this one.
Top Tip 1: Buy a large jar of mincemeat as if your household is anything like mine your first batch shall be scoffed almost as quick as you’ve made them.
Top Tip 2: Keep everything as cold as possible.
- 400g approx of mincemeat
- 225g of plain flour
- 50g of icing sugar
- 65g of lard cubed
- 65g of butter cubed
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1tsp of cinnamon (optional) but this really does add a Christmas oof.
- Milk for glazing the tops
- Sieve your flour, icing sugar and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl (glass or metal preferably).
- Keeping your hands above the bowl allowing the air into the flour, rub in the lard and the butter until you have a mixture resembling breadcrumbs.
- Create a well in the middle and put in your beaten egg.
- In a swirling motion bring all your ingredients together creating a ball.
- Put into a bag and chill for 30 mins in the fridge or 10 mins in the freezer.
- Grease a 12 portion bun tin.
- Cut your pastry in half and roll one side out until very thin.
- Using a pastry cutter/glass approx 3 inches in diameter, cut out 12 rounds. Keep any leftovers.
- Gently press into your tin and put 1 tsp of mincemeat in each case.
- Roll out the other half and cut out 12 tops, I use the same size cutter or a 2 inch one if preferred.
- Wet the edges of the filled pastry cases and cover with your tops, crimping the edges in together.
- Put back into the fridge for a further 30mins or the freezer for 10mins thus making sure your pastry is cool before cooking, This is optional but, if you do this give your pies slightly longer to cook 15-20mins.
- Preheat your oven to 200’c, 400’f or gas mark 6.
- Baste each pie with a little milk and cut a small hole in the top to enable any stream to escape.
- Sprinkle a little sugar over the top.
- Bake for approx 12-15mins depending on how dark you like your pies.
- Place on a wire rack and allow to cool then dust with icing sugar.
Leave a Reply