On 11th of April 1831, the Lewis Chess Pieces, were put on public display at the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, shortly after their rediscovery in a sand bank on the island of Lewis.
Eleven chess pieces are exhibited in the National Museum of Scotland. When unearthed “The hoard contained 93 gaming pieces in total, including from at least four chess sets as well as from other games. The chess pieces were probably made in the late 12th or early 13th century in Norway.”
Today, 82 pieces are owned and usually exhibited by the British Museum in London, and the remaining 11 are at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.