Around the world 5,459,176 people have died so far from the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak as of January 02, 2022, 17:09 GMT. Although this figure is believed to be an underestimation.
As at 2nd January 2022 the number of people in the UK who have died as a result of Covid was 148,851 and that number for those where Covid is mentioned on the death certificate is 172,657.
|Deaths within 28 days|
of a positive Covid test
|Deaths with COVID-19 |
on the death certificate
Everyone of these numbers is a person.
As another year unfolds we think of those who have died due to the Covid-19 pandemic which has brought so much pain and suffering across the globe.
Rose leaves, when the rose is dead,
Are heap’d for the belovèd’s bed;
And so thy thoughts, when thou art gone,
Love itself shall slumber on.
Percy Bysshe Shelley
Image by Rosie Hopkins
- get the vaccine or the vaccine booster
- limit the amount of social contact you have with other households – gather in groups of no more than 3 households
- avoid crowded places – shop at quieter times and follow safety measures in shops and other places
- if you don’t have symptoms take regular lateral flow tests – especially before mixing with other people – get LFD tests
- follow the guidance on NHS Inform on self-isolating and booking a test
- wear a face covering where required
- work from home if you can
- take an LFD test each time before you visit someone in a hospital or care home
- wash your hands regularly, and cover your nose and mouth if coughing or sneezing
- open windows when meeting indoors
- use the apps: COVID status, Protect Scotland and Check-in Scotland