A record number of College students have had a positive leaver destination.
Information published by the Scottish Funding Council on the 2020/21 cohort of students is a great boost after the previous year which was negatively affected by the measures put in place to limit the transmission of Covid.
- Overall, 39,732 qualifiers had a confirmed destination (including continuing a college). Sector Leavers accounted for 16,653 of these, meaning 41.9% of qualifier with confirmed destinations were Sector Leavers.
- 91.0% of Sector Leavers found positive destinations, an increase from last session’s 84.4% and a record high.
- 83.9% of Sector Leavers who achieved SCQF1 2 1-6 went on to positive destinations, up from 74.5% last session.
- 95.4% of Sector Leavers who achieved SCQF 7+ went on to positive destinations, upfrom 90.3% last session.
- 40.0% of Sector leavers who achieved SCQF 7+ went into employment, up from 31.5% last session
There was a recovery for those seeking employment in hairdressing, beauty and complimentary therapies. The number of leavers who then went on to study at university from this sector increased by 25.8%
Engineering, Hospitality and Tourism were particularly strong sectors this time round. However there was a slight drop in the number going to university to 55.4%
College is a great way to continue the learning journey as students progress through various stages. The majority of students are doing so, using College as a stepping stone to gain qualifications.
Leaving aside 2020, which was affected adversely by the pandemic, the number of College qualifiers now in employment is also at an all time high.
Over a third of students HE level (SCQF 7+) went on to study at University. It saw a slight decrease but this is matched by the increasing numbers going into employment instead.
Click on this link to find out more information: College Leaver Destinations 2020/21
Commenting Higher Education and Further Education Minister in the Scottish Government Jamie Hepburn sadi:
“It is fantastic that nine out of 10 full-time college leavers are going on to positive destinations.
“These figures clearly show the crucial contribution that Scotland’s colleges make to equipping their students with the skills and training they need to take their next steps.
“The growth in the proportion of college-leavers securing employment, as the job market continues to recover following the pandemic, is an important sign of progress in strengthening Scotland’s economic prosperity.”