Today we are making a quick and easy fricassee from scratch however this dish is synominous in our house as a put together with the Christmas leftovers of Turkey and Ham or on a Monday with leftover chicken from our Sunday roast.
- 250-300g chicken
- 1tbl oil
- 1 pkt smoked streaky bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- either 1 red/green pepper or half of each diced
- 1tsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic or 2tsp of granules, powder or paste
- 1 stock cube, ham, chicken or vegetable
- 1tbls cornflour
- 1/2 pint of milk
- 1/2 pint of boiling water
- Pinch of mixed herbs
- Black pepper to taste.
- 125g rice per person
- Heat the oil, fry the bacon and onion until they start to brown.
- Add the chicken and peppers and fry for a further two to three minutes
- Add the paprika, garlic and cornflour, fry for a minute
- Add herbs, stock cube, milk and boiling water and slowly bring to the boil
- Black pepper to taste
- Cook for approx 30 mins
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add rice and cook according to pkt instructions, I tend to give rice 8mins once the water returns to the boil after your rice is added.
Next week we are heading east, with this simple Chow Mein, for this you shall need, 1 breast of Chicken or 1/2 pork chops, Soy Sauce, I use dark, Noodles enough for 4, and either , 1 large onion, 1 large carrot, mushrooms, red pepper or a bag of Chinese stir fry, chili flakes, ginger either fresh or powdered, garlic, (watch out for jars of combined ginger and garlic great to have and they keep for ages in the fridge) and the old faithful of stock cubes and cornflour.