Mince: Mince must be one of the most versatile ingredients with which to cook, recently I was asked not to presume everybody could cook and to not miss out everyday recipes. With this in mind today we are cooking Mince, just straight forward bog standard mince. I aim to show how to turn 500g of mince into three dishes: Mince, Spicy Pasta and Lasagne.
I am hoping to film the making of these three dishes soon so watch this space.
- 250g Mince.
- 2 large Onions chopped.
- 2 large Carrots diced.
- Diced Turnip = to the amount of carrot.
- 1 Stock cube. (I use beef)
- 300mls of boiling water.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Heat a little oil in a large pot and fry the Onion until soft.
- Add the Mince and fry until brown.
- Add your Carrot and Turnip.
- Dissolve you stock cube in 300mls of boiling water.
- Add stock to the mince and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30mins or until your veg is soft.
- In a cup mix, 2tsp of Bisto and 1 tsp cornflour with a little water.
- Remove pot from the heat and slowly add your Bisto mix in, stirring all the time.
- If you gravy is too thick add some more water.
- Bring back to the boil, add salt and Pepper to taste and serve.
Top tip: if you like your mince dark add a little dark Soy Sauce to your gravy.
Cooking in batches is a great way to get value for money and is also a way to ensure home cooking for during the week when work can put restraints on your time. Here are the two recipes mentioned above enabling you to make 3 meals from 500g of mince.
Next week we shall make Cream of Tomato Soup. With or without cream, your choice. For this you shall need, carrots, garlic, stock cubes, tinned tomatoes, tomato purée,cream and milk.