This is a recipe that zings up the humble sausage allowing it to become the star of the dish. Tasty and extremely economical.
Summer Sausage Stew
- 2tbls of oil, Rapeseed or Olive oil are best
- 500g of Sausage
- 500-750g of baby potatoes, halved
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 4 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- A handful of cherry tomatoes halved
- 50g mushrooms sliced
- 2 tsps of garlic granules or two cloves crushed
- 1/2tsp of dried oregano or herbs of your choice
- A sprinkle of chilli flakes (optional)
- A squirt of Lemon Juice
- 1 or 2 stock cubes
- 200mls of water
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the sausages to brown.
- Add the onions and fry until translucent.
- Add the mushroom and red pepper and fry for a couple of moments.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, herbs and chili flakes and stir to coat.
- Add the potatoes, water and the stock and bring to the boil.
- At this point add a glug of olive or rapeseed oil and the lemon juice.
- Cook for 45 mins.
- Remove the lid and boil hard until the sauce thickens.
- Taste and adjust to suit.