This is a recipe for Viennese Whirls, these are very easy to make and should only take around 30mins from start to finish and are so very much cheaper than shop bought ones with the added bonus of knowing exactly what goes into them.
Makes approx 12
Biscuit/cake dough mix
- 250g Plain Flour
- 250g of butter softened or a butter spread substitute
- 50g of icing sugar
- 50g cornflour
- 1/2tsp of vanilla extract/essence
- 50g of softened butter or butter substitute
- 100g of icing sugar seived
- 1/2tsp of vanilla extract or essence
Jam of your choice
- 1tbls of jam, beaten to remove lumps
- Sieve the flour, cornflour and icing sugar into a large bowl, add the butter and vanilla extract then mix all the cake ingredients together until a soft dough is formed.
- Roll into balls, 24 approx and place on grease proof papered trays.
- Gently press down to slightly flatten.
- Using the tips of your fingers and thumb, fashion into a peak, creating finger length indentations as you go.
- Place on the middle shelve of a moderately hot oven. 190’c, 375’f, gas mark 5 for 15mins checking after 13 to make sure they are not burning.
- Remove and allow to cool on a rack.
- Whilst your bakes are cooling, make the butter icing by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Once bakes are cool buttercream 12 and jam 12 and join together and place into a small paper case.
- Dust with icing sugar and enjoy.