I understand in today’s busy, hectic lifestyles the temptation to pick up tinned soup, but stop for a minute and think not only about the sugar in tinned goods but about the satisfaction of feeding your whole family, a comforting, warming, home made alternative: As stated in the video this soup was made with 15p Basil and 8p Cherry Tomatoes, so why not buy when cheap, cook and freeze.
Tomato & Basil Soup.
- 2-3 carrots thinly grated.
- 2 garlic cloves grated or 2tsp of Garlic Granules.
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes or 350g of tomatoes chopped
- 2tbls tomato purée.
- 1200 mls of water.
- 2 stock cubes, chicken or vegetable are best.
- 150mls of milk.
- 50mls of double cream, (optional).
- Skoosh of lemon juice, (optional).
- Black pepper.
- A handful of fresh basil torn
- Basil leaves and or a cream swirl to finish.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the carrot and garlic and fry for 2-3mins.
- Add the tomatoes, water, lemon juice, milk, black pepper and stock cubes.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 45mins.
- Carefully transfer to a liquidiser, add the Basil and liquidise until smooth. A hand held alternative is fine and if you have neither pass through a sieve using the back of a spoon to push through the tomatoes.
- Transfer back to the pot and add the cream if using, either way, bring back to the boil and cook for a further 10mins.
- Taste your soup at this point, if it is a little bitter add some sugar, ½tsp at a time.
- Add black pepper, and serve finishing with a couple of leaves of Basil and or a swirl of cream.