We all love take away but it can be very expensive, making your own Doner Kebab allows you to have a treat without breaking the bank. Depending where you buy the ingredients it should work out around £1 to £1.50 per head.
This dish is best made over 24hrs.
- 200g of Lamb Mince
- 1 Lamb Leg Steak
- ½tsp of Salt
- ½tsp of Bicarb of soda (for tenderising)
- 1tsp of Paprika (hot)
- 1tsp of Onion Granules
- 1tsp of Mixed Herbs or Oregano
- 2-3tsp of Garlic Granules or 2 mushed cloves of Garlic
- 2tsp of Ground Cumin Powder
- ¼ of Chilli Flakes
- ¼ of Black Pepper
For the Salad
- Use a mixture of thinly sliced Lettuce, White Cabbage and Onion with chopped Tomatoes, just make a little at a time as it goes a long way.
- Chilli Sauce or Salsa of your choice.
- Trim you leg steak of all fat and sinew.
- Put into a blender and blitz.
- Add all the other ingredients and blitz until smooth.
- Put into the fridge and leave overnight until needed.
- Remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Prepare your Salad.
- Split the meat into four portions.
- Roll each piece between two pieces of parchment until flat. I make these two at a time.
- Carefully peel back the top layers and place on two baking trays.
- In a pre heated oven 230°c, 450°f, gas mark 8, cook two at a time on the top two shelves of the oven for 4-5 minutes, swapping around half way through if your oven is not fan assisted.
- Remove from the oven and heat two large Pita breads in the oven for 1 minute.
- Cut your meat into strips.
- Carefully slice through the middle of your warmed Pita Bread and create your Doner masterpiece.
- Top with whichever Chilli sauce/Salsa you prefer.
- Repeat the process when making for four.