Many people assume when baking that you need to use butter, but using oil makes for a very easy alternative. No creaming of the butter and the sugar enables this cake to be quite literally thrown together in just a few minutes. Served either hot or cold this is a deliciously moist cake and it’s a great way for using up over ripe bananas.
Dairy Free Banana Sponge
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 150g sugar, I use golden caster for this sponge but ordinary will do
- 2 eggs beaten
- 125mls sunflower oil
- 2-3 over ripe bananas
- Mix the egg and the oil together in a jug
- Mash the Bananas in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and egg to the banana and stir.
- Add the sugar and combine together.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder into the mix and gently fold until fully combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour into a square 8″x 8″ lined tin and bake for 40-45mins in the centre of a pre heated oven, 180°c, 375°f Gas mark 4.
- Serve either hot with cream or ice cream or drizzle over a little thick water icing once cooled.