Many people assume when baking that you need to use butter, but using oil makes for a very easy alternative. No creaming of the butter and the sugar enables this cake to be quite literally thrown together in just a few minutes. Served either hot or cold this is a deliciously moist cake and it’s a great way for using up over ripe bananas.
Dairy Free Banana Sponge
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 150g sugar, I use golden caster for this sponge but ordinary will do
- 2 eggs beaten
- 125mls sunflower oil
- 2-3 over ripe bananas
- Mix the egg and the oil together in a jug
- Mash the Bananas in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and egg to the banana and stir.
- Add the sugar and combine together.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder into the mix and gently fold until fully combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour into a square 8″x 8″ lined tin and bake for 40-45mins in the centre of a pre heated oven, 180°c, 375°f Gas mark 4.
- Serve either hot with cream or ice cream or drizzle over a little thick water icing once cooled.
looks like a nice recipe Helen. Not too complicated or expensive.
Since I’m not at all keen on desserts and sweets (very rarely eat the things and never make them) I’ll refrain from any comments or suggestions on tweaks to ring small changes, as I usually do!
It is an easy recipe right enough and one in which it is easy to make a reduction in the sugar as there is ample sugar in the bananas. I’d already reduced the sugar for this recipe and it is quite sweet enough. H