News

Keep Easter Egg Treats Away From Dogs

Foxy dogVets are reminding pet owners to keep chocolate and other sweet treats well out of paws’ reach, as eating even a small amount can be dangerous or even fatal.

Chocolate can be highly poisonous to pets, particularly dogs. It contains theobromine, a naturally occurring chemical found in cocoa beans, which, while safe for humans, is harmful to dogs and other animals. The level of toxicity depends on the amount and type of chocolate ingested – dark chocolate and cocoa powder are most toxic – as well as the size of the dog, with smaller dogs and puppies being most at risk.

Vets are also sounding a warning about xylitol, a sweetener typically found in low sugar chocolate and chewing gum which can be lethal to dogs if accidentally eaten and not treated promptly.

Daniella Dos Santos,  BVA Junior Vice President, said:

“Easter is an enjoyable, welcome break for many families and chocolate eggs are often part of the fun. However, these sweet treats are not suitable for pets, and can be very dangerous to dogs in particular if accidentally ingested.

“It is concerning that a high proportion of vets are still seeing pets coming in with chocolate poisoning as this can be easily avoided. To avoid an Easter emergency and keep it fun all round, we advise that owners keep chocolate and sweet treats out of reach of pets, inside cupboards and sealed away where possible.”

Categories: News

Tagged as: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.