Thursday is the last day of the public event where you can look at the proposals for on-street parking in Kirkwall. The consultation is on in Room 3 at Kirkwall Town Hall from 11am to 3pm.
OIC officials are in attendance to answer any questions you have
The focus of the proposals is on Bridge Street, Albert Street, Broad Street, Castle Street, Victoria Street and Main Street – where it is proposed that the designated parking areas will have a maximum stay of 20 minutes.
- 3 new parking spaces on Bridge Street near access to the car park. One on the north side and 2 on the south side of the access – 20 minutes max stay
- 2 new parking spaces on Albert Street. One at the launderette and one at Superdrug – 20 mins max stay.
- 3 new taxi spaces on Castle Street.
- 3 additional parking spaces on Broad Street outside Lows. To replace the taxi spaces that were originally here but now shown on Castle Street – max 20 mins stay.
- 2 permit holder spaces within the new Broad Street parking layout.
- Removal of existing parking spaces at The Orkney Hotel. Insufficient space for larger vehicles to pass.
Outwith the marked bays it is proposed that vehicles will be subject to the restrictions imposed by both single and double yellow lines which means no parking or waiting as set out in the Highway Code, except for Blue Badge holders and delivery vehicles.
Here they are in more detail:
There is a feedback form that you can fill in at the event.
Related article: What do you think about the consultation process being used in Orkney?
Leave a Reply