As the Boss has still got the lurgy & I am fed up with living off of soup, I decided to use up what was left in the fridge. So here is the meal I concocted.
Bits n Bobs Pie
Ingredients found in fridge for filling:
- Baked Potato x 1 (or equivalent of mashed)
- Mushrooms x 3
- Hot Dog x 1 or 2
- Bacon Rasher x 1
- Frinkadellen (Pork Burgers) x 2
- Fry the bacon rasher, once cooled cut into small pieces.
- Cut mushrooms as above, saute in butter & garlic (1 clove crushed or 1tsp powder) then cool.
- Slice Frinkadellen & Hot dogs as above (already packed precooked)
- Mash cold baked potato & season to taste.
Hot water crust pastry :
- 150g plain or bread flour
- 30g butter
- 30g lard
- 55ml water
Mix flour & butter together in a mixing bowl, with your fingers.
Put water and lard in saucepan, heat to approx 50°C, pour into flour/butter mixture and stir with a spoon/spatula slowly until it cools a bit, then mix with fingers until a warm dough as above.
Roll out on floured board while warm until you reach a thickness of approx a pound coin (2.8mm) to fit 8 inch/ 203mm loaf tin, cut a piece for the pie lid.
Insert rolled out dough into loaf tin and start layering with the cold filling ingredients then topping with the mashed potato.
Put the pastry top on and pull sides over the top to seal then baste with egg or milk and cut a opening in middle of the pie.
Place in a preheated oven, top shelf, at 180°C/375°F/ Gas mark 4 for 40 minutes. Check to see if it needs more time, if ready take out and cool for a while then take out of tin, if base feels a bit wet, then replace in oven without tin and dry base until ready.
This can be eaten hot or cold as you please enjoy.