We may not be at the “make do and mend” stage yet, however I couldn’t help but think of it when I came across an appeal for a ‘Toastie Machine’ during these times of Covid19 shop closures. Here is the simplest of recipes without a machine in sight.
- Sliced bread
- Fillings, I made Cheese & Ham and Cheese and Onion, but use whatever your usual favourites would be, a combination of Gouda and Cheddar are ideal
- Medium heat a large Frying
- Spread one side of the bread with butter.
- Place bread, butter side down into the frying pan.
- Layer up your fillings. (If using cheese plus other things, start and finish your layers with cheese.)
- Place another slice of bread on top, butter side up.
- After approx three minutes, carefully flip your bread over. Keep your eye on the pan heat, it’s better to keep the heat low than burn the bread.
- Heat for another three minutes approximately, until the filling is hot and or melted.
- And that’s it.
- I tend to low heat an oven if I’m making a few and stack in the warm oven as I go.