I know I did a recipe for plain scones some time ago which I called magic scones because they were made with a tin of lemonade, well during the time that we are in lock down currently I’ve been experimenting and these scones are the result. Probably the lightest and fluffiest scones that I’ve ever made.
Yield approx 8-9
- 350g Self Raising Flour
- 85g of Salted Butter cubed
- 50g Sugar
- 150g/mls of Natural Yoghurt
- 50mls of Full Fat Milk
- 1tsp of Vanilla Extract-
- 1tsp of Baking powder
- Place a baking tray into the oven and heat your oven to 220°c 430°f Gas Mark 7
- Heat the Vanilla Essence, Yoghurt and Milk together for a minute in the microwave or a pan until warm.
- Sieve the Flour and Baking Powder into a large bowl.
- Mix in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar
- Create a well in the middle and pour in the heated liquid (gloup)
- Mix with a flat knife until combined.
- Tip out onto a floured surface and knead for a wee minute.
- Keeping your dough thick approx 2″ cut with a floured cutter.
- Remove the hot tray from the oven and flour the base.
- Place the Scone dough onto the tray.
- Brush with either a beaten egg or milk and bake for 12mins or until golden.
- Serve with clotted cream and jam.
Oh my lord, Helen – oh my lord – Just LOOK at them!!!
They tasted good too.