Over the summer holiday period Orkney Islands Council received £31,000 funding from the Scottish Government to support the continued provision of free school meals and £61,000 for the wider provision of food support.
The funding ensures that the council is able to continue the provision of free school meals during the summer holidays and other food provision to help low income families during the COVID-19 pandemic.
For the new school year 2020/21 applications are open for families eligible for free school meals and clothing allowance.
You can be apply for both online here.
For anyone who is unable to access the online application form they can call 01856873535 and a paper copy form will be posted to them.
You are eligible if you receive any of the following benefits or support:
- Income Support.
- Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance.
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Universal Credit where the monthly earned income does not exceed £610.
- Child Tax Credit only – income must be under £16,105.
- Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit – income must be under £7,330.
- Support under Part VI of Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
Although children attending nursery for full days and children in P1-P3 are automatically entitled to receive free school meals, the council is encouraging parents/carers to apply if they are in receipt of any of the qualifying benefits, in the event that schools are unable to return full time in August.
National Assistance Helpline
During this period individuals who are unable to access or afford food and cannot get the help they need from family, friends or neighbours are encouraged to call the national assistance helpline. The free helpline number is 0800 111 4000, or can be contacted via a textphone on 0800 111 4114. The helpline is open Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm.
The help may be with:
- food, if you’re not able to get the day-to-day food you need
- medication, if you’re not able to pick up the prescriptions you need
- access to local social work services
- emotional support
- contact with local volunteer groups