Pier Arts Centre, The Orkney Museum, The Kirbuster Farm Museum and The Westray Heritage Centre
Like many visitor attractions across Scotland, museums and galleries have been waiting patiently for restrictions to be eased so they can safely reopen and allow visitors to explore these inspiring spaces once again.
The reopening of many museums and galleries is great news for the thousands of visitors that have missed spending time in Scotland’s world class cultural attractions. Not to mention the dedicated staff members and volunteers responsible for taking care of the collections and bringing their stories alive, who can’t wait to get back to welcoming visitors once more.
To help intrepid explorers of all ages discover new and exciting places to visit, Museums Galleries Scotland has launched an interactive map as part of its #MuseumsAreGo campaign showing which venues are open.
Isla Holloway Marketing & Customer Services Manager at the Pier Arts Centre, said:
“It has been great to welcome visitors back into the Pier Arts Centre again.
“Since we reopened, there has been a real mix of locals and visitors through the doors, some coming to the gallery for the first time. The feedback from visitors has been really positive. We have managed to open up most of our gallery spaces and have some new displays highlighting our collection, so hopefully first time and regular visitors alike will find something new to enjoy. “
Pier Arts Centre
- Opening times Thursday to Saturday 10.30am – 5pm
- Admission Free
- Booking of 1 hour slot Essential
- New collection – Welcome Back – gives visitors the opportunity to enjoy the gallery’s collection of 20th and 21st century modernist artworks.
The Orkney Museum
- Opening times are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 10.00-12.00 and 14.00-16.00.
- Numbers inside limited so visitors may need to queue outside.
- The Baikie Library and Drawing Room plus a temporary exhibition are currently open. Between The Islands exhibition of paintings, drawings and prints a ‘taster’ for the virtual exhibition.
Kirbuster Farm Museum
- Opening times are Fridays and Saturdays from 10.00-12.00 and 14.00-16.00, and on Sunday afternoons from 13.00 – 16.00.
- The house, with its distinctive peat fire, is the only building open.
- The gardens, orchard and grounds are open.
- If busy visitors may have to wait
- Admission Free
Westray Heritage Centre
- Opening times May to September Monday 11.30am-5pm, Tuesday-Saturday 9am-12noon, 2-5pm, Sunday 1.30-5pm.
- Opening times October to April – by arrangement.
- Admission: Adults £3, 60+ £2.50, Students £2.50, 5 – 16 £0.50, under 5s free
- For ferry travel it is essential to book including for foot passengers. Contact Orkney Ferries on 01856 872044 or check their website orkneyferries.co.uk.
For a comprehensive list of museums and galleries open across Orkney check the interactive map, which shows which venues are open and can be accessed online here. This is updated on a daily basis as museums reopen. Before you go, check the museums websites for opening times and safety measures. https://museumsarego.com/map.