This method of cooking beef is superb both for it’s tenderness and for the fact it can be prepared well in advance just to be slotted into the oven to re-heat when needed. You can also use cheaper cuts of meat due to the fact it shall be cooked twice.
- A Piece of Beef, I’m using Brisket 650g
- 2tbls oil
- 3 Shallots or 1 small Onion thinly diced
- 1 Carrot sliced
- 1tsp Garlic Granules or 1 crushed clove
- A sprinkle of Mixed herbs
- Approx 1/2pint of boiling water.
- 2-3tsp Bisto Powder
- 1tsp Cornflour
- Allow your Beef to come up to room temperature.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan until quite hot.
- Sear your meat on all sides to seal in the juices.
- Cover and leave on a low heat for 10mins to release some of the liquid from the meat.
- Add your onion, carrot, garlic and herbs along the sides of the meat.
- Add enough boiling water to cook but not boil, a half pint is usually enough, bring back to the boil.
- Cook at a low heat for 1/2hour per 250g of weight, I gave mine 1hr 15mins, check ever so often to ensure your pot is not drying out. Add more boiling water if required.
- Once cooked, remove the meat from the pan and set aside for 10mins.
- Mix your Bisto and Cornflour together with a little cold water and add to your pot of juices, adding more water if you need more gravy. Stir constantly over heat until thickened. Set aside.
- Slice your Beef and put into a oven-proof dish, cover with tin foil and leave until ready to re-heat.
- Reheat in a pre-heated oven 180’C, 350’F, Gas mark 4 for 45mins.
- Serve and enjoy.