Cullen Skink is an extremely easy and nutritiously tasty meal. Serve with homemade bread to make a filling alternative to meat and two veg.
- 2 pieces of smoked haddock or smoked cobbler
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 largish potatoes peeled and diced
- 300 mls of hot water
- 300 mls milk or 1 tin of evaporated milk for a creamier end result
- 25g butter for frying
- a handful of parsley to finish
- A sprinkle of Turmeric for colour (optional)
- 1/4 tsp of white pepper for the fish milk
- Add a chicken stock cube if desired.
- In a large pot heat the butter and fry the onions for 5mins
- Add the potatoes and the hot water and cook for 15 mins (soup base)
- In a separate pot place the fish in the peppered milk and slowly cook for around 5mins.
- Remove the fish from the milk and retain the milk for later
- When the fish has cooled flake in to large pieces and add to the soup
- Add the milk to your soup mixture, if it looks like the milk has split which is very common, sieve it into the pot.
- Continue to cook until the potatoes are soft if they are not already.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and sprinkle over the chopped parsley to finish.