Keeping to a budget does not have to mean no treats and when you make your own you know exactly what is going into it, no colourants and no preservatives, why not get the kids involved in this the easiest of cakes. Doubling the cake up does make for a big cake, but this cake shall freeze if you only want to use one of them. There are two different filling ideas, whipped cream or butter icing below.
Ingredients For the cake
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 225g Butter or Margarine
- 225g Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- 2-3tbls Milk
- Pre heat your oven to 180’c, 350’F, Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line the bases of two 8″sandwich tins with grease proof paper.
- Weigh all the ingredients apart from the milk into a very large bowl.
- Using a hand mixer or a wooden spoon combine all the ingredients together until well mixed, don’t over beat.
- If you feel the mix is a little stiff add the milk 1tbls at a time.
- Pour fairly evenly into your cakes tins and bake in the middle of the oven for approx 25 mins.
- You know your cakes are ready when they feel firm to the touch and they have come away from the tins slightly.
- Turn our onto a a cooling rack and allow to cool.
- 300mls of double cream whipped
- 4 or five strawberries
Alternatively Butter Icing
- 250g icing sugar
- 125g butter softened
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- In a largish bowl combine all the ingredients using a fork until soft and smooth.
- If your mix is a little stiff then add a tiny amount of water at a time until the cream is easy to work with.
- ¹⁄3 of a jar of jam, beaten for ease of use.
Traditionally Victoria Sponge is made with Raspberry Jam but heh it’s your cake so your choice.
- Using the bases of the cakes, spread your jam on one and then depending which you are using, ¾ whipped cream or ½ your butter cream on the other and then join together.
- The either put a dollop of your remaining whipped cream in the centre of the cake and decorate with strawberries, dust with icing sugar.
- Or spread the remaining butter cream over the top and decorate as you wish.
Leave a Reply