This delicious hearty soup is the version our late friend and colleague Nick Morrison used to make.
- 1 Smoked Ham Hough or Ham/Vegetable stock cubes
- 500g of Lentils
- 2 Large Onions diced finely
- 2 Medium Carrots diced
- ½ Neep Diced
- Put your Lentils into a fine sieve and wash under water until they are dust free.
- Place the Lentil and the Ham Hough into a large ovenproof casserole dish or pot.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and put into the oven for 1 hour at Gas mark 3, 170’c or 325’f.
- Cook the diced Neep in a little water, drain and keep the water.
- Cook the Carrot in the Neep water, add the Onions and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Remove Soup from the oven and add the Vegetables.
- Bring back to the boil stirring constantly adding boiling water as required to your desired consistency.
- Remove the hough and cut off any exposed meat to a depth of around ¼ inch.
- Shred and add to the soup.
According to Nick the remaining meat shall give you the best flavoured Ham, much better than any Supermarket.