Today recipe is a simple soup, teamed up with homemade bread this makes a lovely lunch or when topped with cooked chicken a light evening meal.
If you are using a chicken carcass pre boil in a litre of water for stock for around 30mins, drain and save.
- 2 leeks chopped, try to get ones with good green tops as this adds colour to your soup.
- 3 large carrots diced.
- 1/2 mug rice
- 4 or 5 chicken stock cubes according to taste and size of the pot you are using.
- Using vegetable stocks cubes to give a vegetarian option.
- two sprigs of fresh rosemary or 1/2tsp dried rosemary (optional)
- pieces of cooked chicken
- Heat a little oil in a large pot, I use a pressure cooker size
- fry the leeks for around 5mins
- Add the carrots and fry for a further 2mins
- Add the rice and and rosemary if using approx 4 litres of chicken stock, bring to the boil
- Turn heat down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours and serve with a little cooked chicken on top.“
Pair with this easy bread.
When making bread why not try using, 50/50 bread flour and wholemeal flour using an extra 1/2 packet of yeast for this recipe
Last week I used a warm lager instead of water in my bread and i really can’t convey how soft and delicious it was.
As with all these recipes enjoy.
Next weeks recipe is Lasagne, for this you will need, 300g mince,, 6-8 lasagne sheets, 1 tin tomatoes, tomato pureé, herbs, garlic, onions for the ragu & cheese, milk and cornflour for the sauce.