I hadn’t anticipated doing a recipe for meringues this week, but when I found myself with a couple of eggs whites going spare then meringues called out to being made.
- 2 egg whites
- 100g sugar I used 50g of soft brown and 50g of granulated for a darker meringue but using all white will make your classic white meringue.
- Fillings of your choice.
- Put the egg whites into a clean dry mixing bowl and whisk until soft peaks are formed, this will take a couple of minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the sugar and re-whisk until peaks are formed again.
- Slowly add the remaining sugar a tablespoon at at time and whisk on low until the mixture is thick, smooth and glossy.
- line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper/baking paper/parchment paper. Top tip, hold the paper in place with a little of your meringue mixture.
- Spacing well apart drop dollops of your mixture on to the paper.
- Using the back of a spoon, gently press into the centre then swirl outwards, this should create a nest.
- You could also pipe your meringue into a swirl and fill with cream.
- Place in a pre heated oven 140’c, 225’f, gas Mark 1-2 for 50 minutes.
- After 50 minutes…if you like your meringues chewy then remove from oven and allow to cool.
- If you prefer your meringues more firm, turn your oven off and allow to cool completely before removing.
- Serve with, fruit, cream, ice cream or whatever your preferred combination is.
I am not very artistic but I appear to have created a wee birdie…..
Categories: Local News