What to do if your dog eats chocolate

Important advice from The PDSA (People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals)

  1. Call your vet and follow their advice. It’s useful for your vet to know how much has been eaten and what type of chocolate they’ve had; show your bet the packaging if you have it.
  2. Visit our Pet Health Hub, this provides all the information you’ll need about chocolate poisoning, so you can understand signs, symptoms and treatments. You can also work out the toxicity level of what your dog has eaten using this chocolate toxicity calculator.
  3. You can call the pet poison helpline. There is a charge to use this service but they’re open 24 hours a day to offer advice to worried owners who think their pet could have eaten something poisonous.  

Thousands of pet owners give their dogs chocolate. Often dogs discover chocolate hidden away or not put away carefully enough.

Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is toxic to dogs. Theobromine doesn’t break down in a dog’s digestive system in the same way it does in ours, which makes them sensitive to the chemical.

There’s also caffeine in there that is also harmful to dogs.

This warning applies not just to chocolate bars and Easter eggs but to all products that contain chocolate.

Categories: Uncategorized

Tagged as: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply