The cumulative total of positive Covid19 results recorded in Orkney now stands at 85.
The stats for Scotland published on 24th June 2021 are as follows:
- 2,999 new cases of COVID-19 reported
- 40,952 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
- 7.7% of these were positive
- 5 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
- 17 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
- 177 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
- 3,695,303 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 2,631,533 have received their second dose
As Orkney deals with the Covid outbreak in the islands many businesses and services are affected as people awaiting tests/test results are self isolating.
This graph illustrates the surge in positive case numbers in Scotland over the last few weeks.
Orkney Local Emergency Co-ordination Group (OLECG) is supporting efforts by NHS Orkney Public Health to contain the ongoing Covid-19 outbreak in the islands. Additional testers are being dispatched to Orkney to cope with the rise in requests.
Although uptake of vaccinations has been excellent in Orkney there are still many younger people who have not been vaccinated and there are others who are unable to be vaccinated for health reasons.
This is a very worrying time and we at The Orkney News extend our best wishes to all those who are unwell or who are anxious about having contracted the virus.
The advice is to remember FACTS
- wear a face covering
- avoid crowded places
- clean hands and surfaces regularly
- stay 2m away from other people
- self-isolate and get tested if you have COVID-19 symptoms
- download the Protect Scotland app
More information here: Scottish Government Coronavirus