The cumulative total of Covid cases in Orkney is now at 173 as 2 more positive test results were recorded today.
The stats for Scotland published on 18th of August 2021 are as follows:
- 2,538 new cases of COVID-19 reported
- 35,999 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
- 7.5% of these were positive
- 10 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
- 39 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
- 324 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
- 4,065,970 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,498,257 have received their second dose
In the week ending 15th of August, 41 deaths were registered where COIVD-19 was on the death certificate.
Since the start of the outbreak:
- 8,051 people have died who have tested positive as at 18 August
- 10,464 deaths have been registered in Scotland where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate up to 15 August
- 32% of COVID-19 registered deaths related to deaths in care homes, 61% were in hospitals and 7% were at home or non-institutional settings (as at 15 August)
In Orkney 16,946 ( 92.1%) people aged 18+ have had their first dose of the vaccine; 16,171 (87.9%) have had both doses.
Of those aged 18 – 29 in Orkney 86% have had the first dose of the vaccine; 74% have had two doses.
The vaccine gives you protection against the worst effects of the virus but you can still get it and transmit it to others. Not everyone can get vaccinated for example the very young and those with other medical conditions.
People are reminded to protect themselves and others in the community by:
- get the vaccine when you are offered it
- wear a face covering where required
- wash your hands regularly, and cover your nose and mouth if coughing or sneezing
- self isolate and take a PCR test if you have symptoms
- take regular tests if you don’t have symptoms to reduce the risk of spreading the virus
- meet outside if you can, and open windows when indoors
- keep your distance from people not in your group
- work from home, or do a mixture of home and office working if possible
- use the Protect Scotland and Check-in Scotland apps