Snowballs are a cake which has oft been forgotten in these times of fancy baking. A traditional Scottish recipe which delights for both its taste and texture.
Ingredients (yields 4)
- 150g of Self Raising Flour
- 60g of Butter/Baking spread
- 60g of Caster Sugar
- 1 egg
- 100g Icing Sugar
- A little cold water
- Desiccated Coconut
- Strawberry Jam or a flavour of your preference
- In a large bowl mix the flour and butter/spread together until your mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and the sugar and further mix until you’ve created a dough.
- Cut into 8 fairly equal pieces, and fashion into balls.
- Cook on a lined baking tin for 15 minutes, 180°c, 350°f, Gas mark 4, leave space between your balls for expansion.
- Remove from the oven and leave on a wire rack to cool.
- Make your water icing by mixing a spoonful of water at a time to your icing sugar. Your water icing should be quite runny.
- Doing a half at a time, spread a little jam on the flat side of your cake.
- Dip the curved side of the cake into your icing sugar, allowing and excess to drip off.
- Dip into your coconut and place in a cup case.
- Repeat the process, joining the two halves together as you go.
- Allow to set, share and enjoy.