Savoury Macaroni is, for me, a great way to tart up a family favourite, not to mention a great way to get kids to eat those pesky vegetables without them really realising they are doing so, for a vegetarian version just leave
- 400g Macaroni, I prefer Marshall’s but any will do,
For the Sauce
- 300g strong grated chedder
- 550mls milk
- 2dessert spoons cornflour
- 50g butter
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Savoury,
This is what I use but really just use whatever you have to hand
- Smoked bacon, approx 4 rashers cut up, leave out for the vegetarian version.
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 50g mushrooms sliced
- 20g butter
- 1tbs oil
- Put on a large pot of salted water and put on to boil
- Whilst waiting for water to boil, prepare your vegetables and cheese
- Once boiling add your macaroni, bring back to the boil, turn down and simmer for 12mins
- Whilst waiting on your pasta to cook, melt butter and oil in a frying pan and add the bacon, after a minute add the onion and then, after a further minute, add the remaining veg. Stir until all the veg is coated and turn back to cook, slowly stirring occasionally.
- In another large sauce pan/pot put butter, cornflour and milk and slowly bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese, once the cheese is melted taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Drain the pasta.
- Add your buttery vegetable to your cheese sauce including any excess juices and stir in.
- Add your drained macaroni to your sauce.
- Your meal is now ready to serve however, if presenting at a table, add your dish to a large ashet, sprinkle over some cheese and place under a hot grill and brown.