This may feel a little footery but in my opinion it is well worth the effort and works out far more economic than buying them in the shop.
- 200g plain flour
- 50g sugar
- 1pkt of yeast
- ½tsp salt
- 125mls of hottish milk
- 3tbls of oil
- 1 egg beaten
- extra 50g plain flour set aside
- 55g soft brown sugar
- 3tsp of cinnamon powder
- 40g of soft butter
- 100g of icing sugar
- ¼tsp of vanilla essence
- 3-4tsp of cold water
- Put the flour, sugar, yeast and salt into a large bowl/mixer and stir together.
- Add the oil and the milk, start to mix.
- Add the egg and mix on high for 3mins.
- Slowly add the extra 50g of flour until you have a stiffish dough.
- Tip onto a floured surface and gently knead for 5mins, cover and leave for 15mins
- On a floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle, approx 12″ x 9″
- Spread the softened butter over the dough right to the edges.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and spread over the butter, as evenly as possible.
- Roll the dough up from the narrow side, not too tightly.
- Cut into 8 equal pieces and place in greased 9inch round tin, remembering to put one in the centre.
- Cover and allow to rise for 1hr30mins.
- Cook in the centre of a pre heated oven 180°c, 350°f, Gas Mark 4 for 15mins.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar with the water. It needs to be a pouring consistency but not too runny.
- Pour over the cooled buns and allow to set.