This weeks recipe is for Ciabatta Bread. I am going to write it up as usual, but I would recommend watching the video this time, just to help the method make more sense. Unlike most bread which you can just leave to rise for two hours, this dough needs worked every 30mins, but believe me when I say….it is worth it.
- 350g of either Bread or Plain/All purpose flour
- 300mls of Warm Water
- 1tsp of Salt
- 1tsp of Yeast
- Add the salt and yeast into a large bowl.
- Pour over the water and stir.
- Add the Flour and mix until combined.
- Cover and put somewhere warm.
- After 30mins uncover the bread, but leave in the bowl. You are now going to fold the dough.
- Put your fingers under the edge of one side of the dough, pull and stretch the dough over itself toward you and tuck in. Turn your bowl 90 degrees and repeat the process until you have done the four sides. During this first stretch, pull and tuck go though this procedure again, meaning eight folds in total. Then cover and place somewhere warm for 30mins.
- At the 1hr mark, repeat once again, stretching and pulling the four sides, not forgetting to turn your bowl 90degrees after each stretch, You only need to do this once this time, creating four folds in total. Cover and leave somewhere warm for another 30mins.
- At the 90min mark repeat the above process once more. Cover and place somewhere warm for another 30mins.
- After the 2hrs, flour a surface well and tip your bowl out, just allow gravity to do the work.
- sprinkle flour over the dough. Gently pull and stretch your dough out into a rectangular shape.
- Roll up your dough from the long end.
- Cut into three equal parts.
- Place each part on a floured surface, cover and leave for 45mins. This is the final rise.
- Cut out a piece of parchment/greaseproof paper to fit your tray or baking/pizza stone and put it onto a large board.
- After approx 30mins turn your oven on to 230°c, 450°f, Gas Mark 8, put your tray or baking/pizza stone into the oven to heat.
- After the 45mins, gently move each of your pieces of dough onto the paper, stretching the dough a little as you go.
- Transfer the paper onto the preheated tray/stone. Spray with water and cook for 10mins.
- Turn your oven back to 200°c, 400°f, Gas Mark 6 and cook for a further 15mins.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy hot or cold.