This bread is very fragrant and flavoursome, once you make it, you”ll be thinking up various meals for it to go with.
For the Bread
- 500g of strong bread flour/ plain or all purpose flour
- 300ml of warm water
- 1tsp of salt
- 1tsp of sugar
- 1 packet of yeast
- 2tbls of Virgin Rapeseed or Olive oil
For the Topping
- Virgin Rapeseed or Olive oil for drizzling APPROX 3tbls
- A handful of fresh Rosemary – some of them chopped and some left as sprigs
- Fresh ground black pepper-coarse
- Fresh ground salt-coarse
- Into a large bowl put your flour, salt, yeast and sugar.
- Create a well and pour in your water and oil.
- Mix until combined.
- Tip out onto a floured surface and knead for 5mins or until your dough is soft
- Lightly oil your bowl, put the kneaded bread into the bowl, cover and allow to rise for 1-1½hrs.
- Once risen tip the dough out onto a floured surface and gently knock back.
- Lightly oil a large tray (up to 14″x10″) and work your dough gently to fill the tray.
- Cover and allow to rise again until the dough looks puffy, this should take around 30-45mins.
- Using you first 2 fingers gently press in to the dough to create dimples all over.
- Drizzle over with oil allowing the oil to fill the dimples.
- Sprinkle over the chopped rosemary.
- Generously grind black pepper and salt all over.
- Finally push in a few sprigs of Rosemary.
- Bake in a pre heated oven 220°c, 425°f, Gas Mark 7 for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Suggested additional toppings: grated Parmesan cheese, Garlic slithers, sun dried tomatoes to name but a few.
Helen – I can smell that! I honestly can! I love Focaccia.
That recipe sounds delicious, and it’s making me hungry!