Today’s recipe is for Oatcakes, can’t believe how simple these are to make or that I’d never made them up until a month or so ago.
- 170g Porridge Oats
- 45g melted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (optional)
- 35-50 mls of water (don’t add all at once)
- Grind/blend your porridge oats, until they break up about 30secs if blending. Play about with this to achieve the texture you prefer.
- Mix your dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Create a well in the centre and add your butter, mix to combine, this is your guide to how much water you will need.
- Slowly add a little water at a time and combine.
- Stop adding water once your mix binds together well.
- Tip out onto a floured surface, add a little more water or flour as needed.
- Press out into a round and cut into your preferred size.
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a preheated oven. 180’c, 375’f, Gas mark 4 for 12-15mins if thin, 15-20 if thick.
- They should be firm to the touch once ready.
Griddle method to follow at a later stage