The number of positive COVID-19 cases amongst children and staff attending Papdale Primary School has risen to 27 (25 pupils and 2 staff) as of Friday 5 November.
Of the 440 pupils at the school, 96 pupils were absent on Friday from the school of which many were due to a variety of COVID-related reasons, such as self-isolating or because they are symptomatic and awaiting a PCR test. A small number of parents have also chosen not to send their child/children to school.
In following Scottish Government and Public Health guidance, targeted “warn and inform letters” have been sent to parents of children in the affected classes. Head Teacher, Wendy Bowen, has also written to all parents to reassure that all necessary mitigating steps are being taken.
The school remains open and following a meeting of NHS Orkney Public Health and the Council’s Education Service, Environmental Health and school representatives, it has been agreed to further enhance mitigating measures. These include:
- Offering PCR tests to all remaining children in the most affected P6 class.
- Additional Co2 monitors within the school.
- Encouraging lateral flow testing among all pupils at the school particularly those with siblings in any of the affected classes. The new kits available require a nose swab only. All lateral flow test results, whether positive or negative, should be logged online.
- The availability of PCR test kits within the school itself is also to be investigated as part of a new initiative.
- Staggered break and lunchtimes.
- Ongoing enhanced deep cleaning regime.
- Staff to wear surgical face coverings.
NHS Orkney are continuing to report double figure numbers of cases in Orkney on a daily basis.
These cases are a mixture of household contacts, travel and working environment contacts amongst others. As was mentioned last week, they were expecting to see numbers of cases continue to be high in coming days.
If you do develop COVID symptoms, however mild, or if you have a positive lateral flow test, then immediately self-isolate with your household and book a PCR test. This is regardless of your vaccination status. You can book a PCR test by calling the Covid Assessment Centre on 01856 888211 which remains open this weekend.
Today’s stats: 30 New #Covid Cases in Orkney