The week has turned a lot colder so here is a great soup that is easy to make with simple wholesome ingredients.
- 500g of cooking bacon cut into small cubes
- 1 large mug of red lentils
- 3 grated carrots
- ½ a small turnip/neep/tumshie grated
- 3 diced onions, medium in size
- 3 peeled potatoes grated
- 2 stock cubes, ham or vegetable
- ½tsp of black pepper
- 2tsps of dried parsley
- 1tsp of garlic granules (optional)
- 2litres of boiling water
- Salt to taste half way through the cooking
- (You can either grate or dice ingredients or a mixture of both, experiment)
- This really couldn’t be easier.
- Put everything in a large pot.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 1 ½ hours on a low simmer; stirring frequently to prevent the soup burning.
- Adjust taste to suit
- This is a coarse version of Lentil soup, so liquidise for a smoother finish, a hand blender, liquidiser or even a potato masher could be used, however it won’t be properly smooth if using the masher.